2009年11月29日 星期日

Task 6 : Really Achieving Your Childhood Dreams

Whether the mistakes were severe or not, I always considered them a shame and kept them in mind for a long time before entering university. When I made mistakes I would scream in my head: Gosh! People who witness this will definitely view me as an idiot! How can I do this? Why can’ I be smart? After the mistake happened, I didn’t dare to look at others bravely and I really hoped that I could have vanished then. I spent too much time caring about how others looked at me when I did something wrong or different from others. However, these ridiculous ideas were turning over during the whole year in a magical journey: Chinese course of our department. Teacher taught us to be brave and speak up for our own opinions. Don’t be afraid of what others think. I did try and found it’s really exciting when expressing myself in the class. Even if I had a wrong answer, no one remembered after the class dismissed. The discovery makes me know that mistakes can mean an opportunity for me to modify and improve, not a big shame in my life.

People could make mistakes in every aspect, from little events such as calculate, spelling, speaking, thinking, to bigger ones like riding, cooking, and even giving a judgment. My previous definition of mistakes is something wrong and improper or different from the majority. But now I define mistakes as new lessons for people to learn more. A calculate mistake makes people find the carelessness of themselves; a thinking mistake helps people know the truth in this world; a mistake of judgment reminds people to learn to consider over and over again. Here Professor Pausch uses the word “setback.” I think the combination of “set” and “back” is meaningful that it tells us to go back to the origin and restart, but we don’t have to be frustrated because we have priceless experiences which stop us from doing the same mistakes again and it’s a powerful strength for us to stand up from where we fall down.

The beautiful and profound quote is really touching for me: “Experience is what you get when you didn’t get what you wanted.” This line makes a mistake seem to be a treasure which is precious that people cannot acquire easily because there are still many considering mistakes to be miserable events that once they fail, they cannot resume. Professor Pausch strengthens my point of view towards mistakes and helps me go ahead more courageously. I like many examples he raises in the speech like “We send our children to play soccer and learn swimming, but what we actually hope them to receive is something hiding behind the lesson” which he calls “indirect learning” or “head fake learning.” And the failure to working in Disneyland is so surprising for Professor Pausch receives such a high degree but he was still refused by the world-famous amusement park. But he says, “The brick walls are there for a reason: the brick wall is not there to keep us out, the brick wall is there to give us a chance to prove how badly we want something, because the brick wall is there to stop the other people who don’t desire for it so badly.” I will bear this in mind and face the mistakes which are a valuable chapter in my life with optimistic view.

沒有留言:

張貼留言